The Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad connected the semi-mountainous areas of Grass Valley and Nevada City to the Central Pacific Railroad. Construction of the narrow gauge railroad was driven by mining operations. The cleanup site was used as a Narrow Gauge Railroad Depot with a rail car repair and paint shop from about 1898 to 1912. It was later used as a lumber mill until 1961 and has been vacant or used as a storage area since.
As part of Community-wide Brownfields assessment grant awarded to the City of Grass Valley by the USEPA, Geocon performed a geophysical study and Phase II work consisting and trenching, sampling and analytical testing to help develop a remediation plan.
Interesting Fact: A narrow-gauge railway is a railway with a track gauge narrower than the standard 4 feet 8-1/2 inches.