Civita is a 230 acre urban community in the Mission Valley area of San Diego planned for 4800 residents when completed. Sudberry Properties has transformed the old sand and gravel quarry owned by Vulcan Materials into a nationally recognized development incorporating diverse living options, sustainability, walkability and overall unique design elements. Amenities include the 14-acre Civita Park, 2.5 acre recreation center, retail complex and office/business campus completing the “City of Villages” concept. Geocon started work on the site in 2001 while still being mined by Vulcan Materials and has followed the project since with off-site improvements and early residential projects while mining continued.
Geocon performed a geotechnical investigation, fault study, testing and observation during construction and environmental engineering services.
Interesting fact: the name Civita comes from the Italian word for town
- Best Urban Master-Planned Community – SD BIA Icon Award
- Orchid Award, Orchids and Onions Public Awareness Program – Civita Park
- Healthy Public Open Space Award, Urban Land Institute San Diego – Tijuana – Civita Park
- Astounding Urban Forestry Project Award, California Urban Forests Council – Civita Park
- Outstanding Award, Public Works Project of the Year, American Public Works Association – Civita Park
Rod Mikesell, GE