The PG&E Powerhouse (Sacramento River Station B) located between the Sacramento River and Interstate 5 was designed in 1912 in the Classical Revival Style. The facility produced electricity as an auxiliary powerplant. In 1924, PG&E upgraded the facility making it the largest steam turbine power plant in the area. The plant was decommissioned in 1954 and has remained vacant these past 65+ years. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places, California Register of Historic Places and the Sacramento Register of Historic & Cultural Resources.
The site and building are being transformed into the Powerhouse Science Center to bring science literacy to the Sacramento region by creating a world class science center and center of global technological advancements for students, professionals, businesses, community groups and tourists.
Geocon provided environmental consulting to the City of Sacramento including a pre-renovation asbestos, lead and universal waste survey, as well as, hazardous materials construction assistance under a USEPA Brownfield cleanup grant. Geocon also provided geotechnical services with a targeted geotechnical investigation addressing static and seismic settlement for new structures and preservation of the existing historic powerplant building.